Warmer weather is finally here.
And so are the sounds of spring: lawn mowers roaring, string trimmers buzzing, and motorcycles revving.
Sure, a motorbike might be more enjoyable than lawn equipment, but they all have one thing in common: they require seasonal maintenance.
After a long winter hibernation, those small engines need fresh oil (and a few other things to spring to life).
Lawn mower tune-up tips
Here are some ways to make sure your mower is as ready for summer as you are. Check your owner’s manual for specific recommended maintenance intervals.
- Disconnect the ignition wire and remove the spark plug (a 5/8 or 16mm sparkplug socket should do the trick). After you’ve finished servicing the mower, install a new spark plug and reconnect the ignition wire.
Sharpen the blade
- After a full season of use, your mower blade isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. A sharp blade is important for your lawn and your lawn mower because a dull blade can damage your yard, cause the mower engine to work harder than it should, and use more gasoline.
- With work gloves on, tilt the mower to the side (air filter side facing up so oil doesn’t saturate it) and secure the blade with a C-clamp or a 2x4 between blade and deck. Remove the bolts using a socket wrench. You can sharpen the blade with a metal file, a bench grinder or have your local hardware store or repair shop do it. Before you reattached the blade, clean and scrape off any dried grass and debris underneath the deck.
Replace air filter
- The air filter can get clogged with dirt, grass, and other debris. Air is necessary for the combustion process and a clean air filter optimizes airflow. It’s so easy to replace, you typically don’t even need any tools for the job.
Add fresh oil and gas
- If your mower has a 2-stroke motor, mix Valvoline Multi-Purpose 2-Stroke Engine Oil with fresh gasoline.
Valvoline Multi-Purpose 2-Stroke Engine Oil
Not all oils cut it for lawn maintenance equipment. Valvoline Multi-Purpose 2-Stroke Engine oil is specially formulated for high-revving, small two-cycle engines, pre-mix or injection engines, and motors requiring a gas-to-oil mixture.
Yard work doesn’t have to be hard work if your equipment is running smoothly. With Valvoline 2-Stroke oil, you’ll get excellent performance and engine protection in lawnmowers, chainsaws, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, and brush cutters.
Are two wheels more fun than four?
Motorcycle enthusiasts think so. Start the new riding season right with fresh oil and a maintenance inspection.
Seasonal motorcycle maintenance and inspection checklist:
- Change oil.
- Check tires for signs of wear and inflate to recommended air pressure.
- Remove air filter and replace if needed.
- Check lights, turn signals, and brake lights.
- Inspect controls, including the throttle and cables.
- Test battery and charge if necessary.
- Lubricate chain and check for kinks.
- For belt-driven motorcycles, make sure the belt is free from cracks.
- Inspect side and center stands.
- Check brake fluids and coolant.
Valvoline™ 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil
Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil is formulated with advanced additive technology to help you achieve peak performance from your machine. Developed to protect engines and wet clutch systems in high RPM and high temperature conditions to maximize power and smooth shifting.
Pre-season boating tips to help ensure smooth sailing
When you’re out on the water and miles from shore, the last thing you want is engine trouble.
According to the National Marine Manufacturers Association, your pre-season start-up check list should include:
- Fuel system – Inspect for leaks or damage, especially to fuel hoses, connections and tank surfaces.
- Belts, cables & hoses – Check for cracks and make sure belts fit tight around pulleys.
- Electrical system – Inspect connections and look for any corrosion, charge and test battery.
- Fluid levels – Check all fluids including oil and power steering fluid; change fluids according to recommended service intervals in owner’s manual.
- Propellers & hulls – Check for dings and cracks; ensure propeller is secured correctly.
- Spark plug(s) – inspect and replace according to your owner’s manual.
Valvoline 2-Stroke Outboard Marine Oil
Valvoline 2-Stroke Marine Oil helps minimize wear, combustion deposits, ring sticking, port blocking, and spark plug fouling. Designed for pre-mix injection systems, it’s formulated to enhance performance and helps prolong engine life, keeping your motor running smoothly and reliably.
- Prior to using or installing any of these products always consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for compatibility and warranty information.